If you’re lucky enough to be heading away this Easter long weekend, have a great time! Just be sure to take some time to ensure your home is secure and safe from intruders while you are away. Here are some helpful tips to prevent your house becoming a target for thieves.
Secure your home
- Make sure all doors and windows are fitted with good quality locks, and that they are secure before leaving. Double check each lock.
- Check external doors and door frames for weaknesses that may have occurred with weather and age. Replace if required.
- Trim all trees and shrubs that may provide cover for an intruder.
- Don’t make it easy for would be burglars. Ensure all garden tools, ladders, and other tools that may be used to break into your house are secured away inside. Be sure to lock the shed and side gates.
- Ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property or even park on your driveway.
A few extra tips
- Make sure your home insurance is up to date.
- Don’t advertise you’re away. Be mindful of images and location information that you share on social media – check privacy settings and disable location services.
- Turn down the volume of your telephone, and do not leave a message stating you are away.
We hope you and your family have a safe and enjoyable Easter break.